Friday, October 21, 2011

Bike Ambitions: Part 1

Today was overall a very gorgeous day here in sunny south Florida. We are experiencing a very rare and pleasant cold draft here, with a high of 76° during the afternoon. Needless to say, me and the girlfriend went on a walk (something we have started to do lately). It's a great way to get out and do something for free, save gas, and get some of that juicy vitamin D from the sun through your skin.

Quick Side Note: It has been on my mind lately that I would really like to "ditch" my car in favor of a handy bike. The cost savings are ridiculous and for the most part Mr. Money Mustache has been sold on it's benefits. I haven't been playing lacrosse lately so some exercise other than lifting weights would be nice. I plan to make it my only means of transportation when me and the girlfriend move away to finish up our last 2 years of education at a certain university (still waiting to get accepted!).

Well, during the walk my girlfriend had a feeling we should cut through to an apartment complex that we normally do not walk through, in fact we only have once and got chased by a duck or two. While walking past the dumpster she spotted a bike. However, there was one small obstacle.... well two really. Those obstacles were chain link fences. Apparently this apartment complex has some 'complexes' of it's own, as they felt it necessary to put their trash behind not one locked fence, but two locked fences.

My girlfriend was quick to notice there was tiny section under a bush in the back side that she could fit through. Once through she confirmed the bike was not in that good of condition and I told her we should probably get going once we get it as cars were starting to slow down to see what we were up to. Now we had to figure out how to get the thing out. Luckily another slot in the bush about three feet away was enough for us to hoist it out.

So I am not the proud owner of what looks like a circa 1980's "roadmaster". Overall it isn't to beat up, the chain just needs some oil and it is missing a bike seat. I've been searching craigslist for days and have seen very few bikes dip below $100, money I am not easily about to depart with. I was very pleased with this find and will be posting pictures of it soon, as well as posts on my repair of it!

So, how many of you ride a bike to work, school, or just enjoyment?

No comments:

Post a Comment