Sunday, October 2, 2011

One Step Further Into Paleo - Embracing Fish

As any person that has switch to the paleo lifestyle will tell you, your going to have to switch your tastes up on some things. With that being side I was definitely not varying up my choice of meats before I began paleo. My staple meats, well really my only meats, up to this point have been only beef and chicken. I mean I had the occasional turkey or pork, but I would say that would be together less than 5% of my yearly meat consumption.

So, I am going to depart with my childish food preferences. That's right, I am going to start eating fish no matter what. I don't know why I entirely dislike the little swimming creatures but I know it has something to do with how juicy fish is. I once had the chance to try to smoked salmon and remember actually enjoying it, it reminded me of jerky.

With that being said I will start testing the waters (no pun intended) with salmon since I already know I have enjoyed it in the past. A quick look over at my favorite nutrition info site really helped me build up my motivation to branch out. I work out often so I really enjoy eating foods that are packed with protein and I am surprised I never realized that half a fillet of salmon has 39 grams of it!

Since I no longer am getting a ridiculous amount of Omega-6 from all the vegetable oils I used to use I am not too worried about the 1185 mg the salmon will have. The addition of the over 4,000 mg of Omega-3 will be a nice addition to my fish oil supplements I am currently taking, but if it becomes a staple meat I may have to cut down on the supplementing a bit.

In any case I will be using frozen salmon to start out with, it is a little cheaper and a good way to begin I think. I have a strong feeling this will be one of the more positive experiences with switching over paleo only foods. I will report back with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment