Monday, October 3, 2011

Vitamin C the Paleo Way

A couple days ago I added some vitamin C to my daily intake for a variety of reasons. I had a sinus infection not too long again which often reoccur for no reason at all. Vitamin C is known to help prevent infections, not too mention that it is well known to help your body absorb iron more efficiently.

As a migraine sufferer myself (one of the main reasons I actually changed gears to the paleo lifestyle in the first place!), an increased iron absorption is extremely vital. Iron deficiencies have been linked to all sorts of related problems such as not being able to focus properly, headaches and depression. I was also surprised to find that apathy is a common symptom in adults that do not take in enough iron.

Apathy, to put it simply, is developing a state of mind where things don't matter. Your indifferent to changes around you and is something I have always just associated with my "foggy" mind. After studying more and more about paleo, I have learned almost everything , but not all, we feel is connected to the foods we consume.

The vitamin C brand I choose was one of the higher quality ones and after reading "Gluten free, preservative free, soy free, and no added lactose", I was sold. I used it for two days before I noticed I had made a pretty dumb mistake, the vitamin did, in fact, have lactose in it's ingredients. The disclaimer was right and quite literal, too, I might add. As a follower of the saying "If your going to do something, do it all the way", I am quite frim in following paleo guidelines. I will no longer be taking this vitamin.

Instead I am choosing to obtain all my absorbic acid (vitamin C) from the food I eat as I should have been. I already do get quite a bite from red bell peppers and broccoli but I will begin working with some kale which also has quite a bit of good old vitamin A in it. In fact, one serving has 206% of the daily needed vitamin A, not to mention a good bit of healthy plant carbs.

So, if you haven't in a while, now is a good time to verify the ingredients in your supplements!

No comments:

Post a Comment