Saturday, October 22, 2011

Thoughts on Driving





With less than a week left before I finally go on my cruise to the Bahamas(an experience I am really looking forward to!) I have been trying to keep my vacation mind from kicking in early. I am just taking work one day at a time, waiting for the moment I can punch out and return to my house, sleep, and repeat it the next day.



Today the girlfriend and I began repairing the bike we found yesterday that will eventually become my only means of transportation and I couldn't be more excited. The thought of saving $30-ish(don't drive much as is) on gas a week, car insurance/registration, and maintenance seems like a positive direction financially but also minimalistically as well. To me I see it as a cleansing of sorts, preparing me for better decisions in the future.


As I see it now I will save near $215 a month. Not bad at all .However, going by the IRS calculation of 55.5 cents per mile and my work commute being 23.8 miles five days a week, I am looking at a minimum savings of $66.05.

These savings definitely make me want to hurry and get this bike fixed, but it still needs a seat so I am holding off until I can spot a good deal or another broken bike with a seat in the garbage. So I have been attempting to accelerate less and use my brakes less while driving to stretch my gas budget. It has worked and have noticed takes about same time to get places as before. However I have noticed how aggressive some people drive when you are not zipping around the highway, even in the 'slow' lane.

Oh well, I have used these chances as opportunities to improve not caring about other peoples views of me. If it stresses them out so much to be behind someone consuming less gasoline than them, so be it. I'll just keep floating on like this until I get free of the cycle with my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment