Thursday, October 6, 2011

Switching To Paleo: Benefits of B12 Supplements

So, at this point I am just under four weeks into my paleo lifestyle and loving it. I feel more alert mentally and concentration is improving daily. I am regaining my old confident self and not blowing up on those around me over minor things.

For me my prior poor eating habits before the paleo diet did not attack me physically. Unless of course you consider poor weight gain as a negative physical affect (to an extent it really should be seen this way). No, for me it was all mental. I would like to think it was the feeling of intensity that made me yearn to remove myself from others in the nine nine months or so I had chronic migraines. However while my problems are still drifting day to day, I can now see there was an element of depression and apathy.

A paleo diet is paving my way back to being cheerful again and I couldn't be more happy because of this. The biggest difference I have felt in the last few days was when I began taking vitamin B12 supplements as a suggestion on a community I commonly frequent, Reddit.com/r/paleo. Here, user 'rayout' informed me that the inability to focus and "mind fog" could be as he put it " B-12 deficiency - potentially something you could have suffered with the extended poor nutrition".

After verifying this through various nutrition websites, it turns out 'rayout' was onto something. I quickly learned that wheat intolerance has been linked to B12 malabsorption. The symptoms of which, at risk of sounding like a hypochondriac, all line up with the symptoms I have been experiencing.

In my opinion, I feel that my body was primed for this supplement through switch to the paleo lifestyle. The burden lifted from my body from no longer having grains, cereals, and dairy are now allowing for the B12 supplements to do their jobs. I eventually would like to obtain all my B12 from the foods I eat, but for now, I am taking 1000 mcg twice daily and feel great. Thanks again 'rayout'!

No comments:

Post a Comment